Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Another experiment in leftovers

Grilled zucchini and squash + chives + tomato + chevre + a frozen quiche and pie crust = DINNER! I had a myriad of food that had to be used soon. The one thing that I love about quiche is that its a garbage pie. You can put anything into it and it will come out amazing. It was so good Mike didn't even complain there wasn't any meat in it.
Frozen Quiche
4 eggs
3 c milk
1/2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1 c shredded cheese
Whisk all of it together and pour into 4 quart sized freezer bags. At this point you could also add any meat or veggies you like such as: ham, broccoli, bacon, chicken, peas, etc.
I usually make at least a couple plain to allow for leftovers when I make it and the rest with whatever accouterments I have on hand.
Double bag and freeze flat.
To cook, thaw overnight in the fridge. You can either make your pie crust or use a store bought one. Shake the bag to combine the ingredients and pour into pie shell until 1/2 full. It will rise during baking so don't overfill! Bake until the crust is GBD and the center is still a little giggly. Let stand at least 5 minutes to firm up.
Tonight I served this with a salad and some toasted multi-grain bread with chevre and fresh basil that I tucked under the broiler for a few minutes.

No comments: